Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trusted Contributor

Screen Resolution

I'm curious to know what screen resolutions are typically set up for monitors in healthcare these days.  What screen resolution are you set up at?  Is anyone still running on a resolution that is less than 1024 x 768? 

VIP

Re: Screen Resolution

I'll kick this conversation off. I have a dual-screen set up with two 17" monitors, each with a resolution of 1280 x 1024. I would venture that my configuration is not completely typical, as it is about four years old, as all of our newer monitors are at least 19"  or even 21" in the pharmacy, so I would expect that the tools we are giving to our front-line staff is actually better than what I have.

Graham O'Hea, Pharmacy Systems Analyst
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the response, Graham. 

I realiz I should explain my question a little better.  Screen resolution is something we need to take into account when designing our applications.  It helps the User Experience team to know what sort of screen resolutions most of customers are using.  We could put something together that looks and works great at a higher resolution, but could break down at smaller resolutions.  For example, I have seen situations where a browser screen at a smaller resolution will require horizontal scrolling in order to see all of the information...and we've heard from many customers that horizontal scrolling is an annoyance in using applications. 

I thank everyone ahead of time for responding to this.

Occasional Advisor

We have dual  (one for image display of physician orders) 19 inch monitors with 1280 x 1024 resolution and we still have to scroll both horizontally and vertically to see the full amount of information on the main patient profile page.  We move the columns we most need to see to the left so we don't have to scroll horizontally very often.  (We have to move the columns each time we log in so it would be nice if you designed it where the choices would stay.) 

It is still frustrating at times but I think, unfortunately, that there is just so much data we need to be able to view that it just will not fit within the size of a normal pharmacy monitor.  Think we can we get administration to approve 30 inch monitors?  ;  )

Advisor

The size of the monitor is not the problem. It's the font size. If you reduce the font size you can get more info on the screen. This will work unless the quantity of data is so large that even a 50 inch wide screen will not be sufficient. Once you get much smaller than a 8 it becomes really hard to read on a standard monitor.

Highlighted
VIP
VIP

Pretty much the same as everyone else. With laptop docked in the office I use dual 19" monitors set at 1280 x 1040. With laptop alone I use 1920 x 1080 on a 15.6" widescreen.