Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Visitor

Interested in the Parm. Tech Industry and need help please.

What's the best school online to go through? And is better to get an Associates Degree or Certification/Diploma? Very few offer an Associates Degree. I only found 1 school. I would like to do the schooling and training and than take the PTCB test. But I have no clue where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thank you

Rheanna

Advisor

Re: Interested in the Parm. Tech Industry and need help please.

Rheanna,

You first want to look at the regulations in the particular state that you live in.  Not every state requires you to be certified or even registered as a Pharmacy Tech.  You might want to look at a retail location who will often train you on the job.  Walgreens and CVS are common training grounds instead of going through an official program.  You could also look at a local hospital and ask if they hire techs with little or no experience and if they offer tuition reimbursement for advanced education.  If you happen to live in a highly regulated tech state (TX, CA etc), you will probably find several local colleges that offer training.  If you happen to live in one of the 8 totally unregulated states (like I do), you can find a local home infusion, retail pharmacy or mom and pop pharmacy to get training. 

I hope this helps you.

VIP

@Rheanna: could you clarify your question somewhat?

Are you asking about what it takes to learn more about Pharmacy Technology, or in becoming a Pharmacy Technician?

From you post, it sounds like you are asking about becoming a Pharmacy Technician. I would have to agree that the first step would be to look at the regulations in your state and find out what the requirements are. I think from what you have said here, that I would avoid going to an online school to learn this. Oftentimes, these are only going to prepare you for taking the national PTCB test, and not fulfill any requirements that your particular state may demand (unless there are no requirements for your state, in which case getting the PTCB would be an advantage. Just be aware that Pharmacy Technicians in those states without a required training/licensing process really will be paid just above the minimum wage level, but the situation is better in those states that do require formal training and licensing).

Graham O'Hea, Pharmacy Systems Analyst
Occasional Visitor

Getting an associated degree to be a pharmacy tech is a waste of money.  Pay rates for new techs in retail does not justify the cost, and to get into the higher paying tech jobs you need experience (i know, I pick the people that we hire).  We do not even consider a new grad from a tech program.   

Get the cheapest training that you can or go into the Military.  Find a place that you like to work and that has some pharmacist and experienced techs that will teach you what you really need to know.  

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

[ Edited ]

If it's pharm technology, that's a broad term, talking about engineering type of stuff whether it's drug design or equipment design. Probably much more than a 2 year associate's degree committment. You can try finding work in adjunctive fields like with software technology too...just as an example  http://phrmreviews.com/r/planpharmacy-com-review-plan-stay-away-scam-pharmacy/