Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advisor

72% of traffic still using Internet Explorer 6: Upgrade Plans?

Pharmacy OneSource did a recent analysis of what web browsers our Sentri7 clients were using.  97.47% of the traffic was using Internet Explorer, 2.27% was FireFox, and the balance was Safari and others.  Breaking the Internet Explorer traffic down, 72.38% is still on IE6, 22.55% on IE7, and 2.54% on IE8. 

We strive to continually provide a superior user experience with all our applications and we would like to take advantage of some of the capabilities of newer browsers, but need to keep in mind the browsers being used by the majority of our clients.

We're looking for insight on what your hospitals' have planned for upgrading the version of your web browsers, to what version, and on what time frame? 

Abraham Palmbach
Vice President, Operations
Pharmacy OneSource, Inc.
VIP

Re: 72% of traffic still using Internet Explorer 6: Upgrade Plans?

I think the thing to remember is that IE6 (the browser I am using, BTW), is the default browser for Windows XP, IE7 is the default browser for Windows Vista, and IE8 is the default browser for Windows 7.

I would venture to say that most hospitals are still using Windows XP, fearful of what may happen with upgrading to Windows Vista, and waiting to upgrade to Windows 7. This is certainly the case where I am working.

Once users have a default browser installed on their computers, it becomes a tough sell to try to upgrade the browsers. Our IT departments do not want to have to support more than just one, so we cannot install FireFox, Chrome, Opera, or others, and it becomes a bit of work to try to upgrade everyone's browsers from IE6 to IE7 or IE8, with all of the uncertainty that our web-based applications will work on the newer versions.

So, suffice to say, I think you will start seeing a drop in IE6 marketshare once Windows XP loses its marketshare, and the task of upgrading our OS is not one to take lightly without a phenomenal amount of planning and work. Hospitals are nothing if not conservative in adopting new things.

Graham O'Hea, Pharmacy Systems Analyst
VIP
VIP

I have to agree with Graham on this one. Most IT departments still default to whatever browser comes with the OS. I personally don't use IE, but all our machines in the pharmacy are running IE 6.0.

Given the choice I would use Firefox or Chrome (I waffle back and forth) over IE on a Windows box at this point, although I've read that IE 9.0 will be nice. IE 8.0 would be significantly better on the machines in pharmacy simply for the ability to open multiple tabs. Opening multiple instances of IE 6.0 gets cumbersome.

Compatibility shouldn't be too much of an issue because of the ability to run an IE window inside both Firefox and Chrome. We have a couple of apps that will only run in IE, so I use an IE window in Firefox for those particular apps. Simple.

Advisor

That helps to understand that hospitals are using the default browser for the operating system they are using (eg. WinXP/IE6).  Expecting, as Graham mentioned, that Vista will mostly be skipped...I'd be interested in hearing from our members if their hospitals' have specific plans and timelines in place to upgrade to Windows 7 yet?

Also, do you have a significant number of machines in your facility that are managed by an outside vendor and are therefore on the vendor's operating system upgrade schedule?  How well does this schedule align with your facility's schedule?

Abraham Palmbach
Vice President, Operations
Pharmacy OneSource, Inc.
VIP

Obviously, I can only speak for myself, but I believe the the vast majority, if not all, of our machines are locally owned assets, and that their maintenance is handled locally as well.

I have heard rumors that we will be upgrading to Windows 7 in a year or so, but again, because patient's lives are on the line, we need to make sure that our existing equipment can handle the upgrade as well as that our applications that web-based do not have some feature that will break because it depends on a quick of IE6, so I am not holding my breath that this is going to be happening any time soon.

(As an anecdote, there was a retail pharmacy I worked at in 2005 that was still using green-screen DOS computers whose pharmacy application was originally written in 1988. Just saying....).

Unfortunately, I think what this means for you is that you are going to have to plan on supporting IE6 in the extreme long term, with all of the problems that goes along with it (the box model bug, quirks mode, unable to pass Acid2/Acid3, and so many more).

VIP
VIP

I don't know that exact percentage, but nearly all our machines are owned and maintained by the hospital. It's possible that there are some PCs in areas like cathlab and radiology that aren't, but it would be very few.

We have already started testing Windows 7 on a select number of machines. If everything goes as planned, I expect us to roll it out by the end of the year. 

Jerry

Trusted Contributor

GrahamOH wrote:

(As an anecdote, there was a retail pharmacy I worked at in 2005 that was still using green-screen DOS computers whose pharmacy application was originally written in 1988. Just saying....).

The retail pharmacy that I worked in around 2003 also had a DOS based pharmacy application that we used to run insurance and fill/check prescriptions. This was a major chain store! It makes me wonder if they are still using that technology or if it has since been upgraded....

**** If you find this post helpful, please mark it as a solution ****
VIP

Well, the whole reason that I threw that little crumb out there is kind of as an example of how conservative healthcare can be in terms of adopting new technology (most industries out there would recoil at the thought of using paper to track the status of inventory these days, but how many hospitals are still using paper to document medications which have been administered, to say nothing of using barcodes?).

I went from the DOS-based retail pharmacy to another retail pharmacy while had barcode scanners, prescription scanners, and fingerprint scanners for authentication. I think this goes to show that healthcare is slow to adopt a new technology, but once you prove it to them, they are willing to jump in with both feet. Are there any pharmacies out there still writing out labels using a typewriter? Not really, because of the better value of using a computer for order entry has been proven to them.

Pharmacy OneSource

I found this article interesting about the JC and upgrading from IE6.

21i54EF58FC330A84AC

VIP

@JohnE- Could you repost the link to the article that you were talking about? The image you posted doesn't appear to have a link in it to somewhere else. Thinking that there may have been a problem with my browser (which is IE6... oh, the irony!), I checked the XHTML source on the page, but I didn't see anything which looked like an address.