Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Visitor

needle-reuse

When conducting large volume batching, how many times do you allow a syringe and/or needle to be used before changing it out? 

IE. If a technician is reconstituting 100 vials, how often should they be changing out the syringe and needle?

I've read everywhere from "each and every single time" to "every 8-10 vials"

Expert

Re: needle-reuse

Great question but all of the rules are legacy/urban legend stuff.  What is the concern with using a needle multiple times?  The tip will blunt and increase the risk of coring.  It will also lose its lubricant on the needle shaft and be harder to penetrate the septum.  If you Google dull needles, this is what you will see.  Based on the picture, I would say every 5 punctures to minimize coring.  

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Occasional Visitor

Hello

Couple of question when batching a product such as Fentanyl 1000 mcg / 100 ml due to backorders.

• Frequency of needle and syringe change
    • What is acceptable to maintain sterility?
    • Does it need to be changed out every preparation?
    • Can the needle be changed out and the syringe remains the same ?
    • Can the syringe stay and just replace needle after couple of maipulations ?
    • Can the needle stay the same and the syringe be changed out? (this has happened)
  • What is done with the fluid removed from the bags? Is it okay to remove needle and discard syringes with NS outside of cleanroom.

Highlighted
Expert

Hi Meerpat,

As far as I know, there are no studies that specifically address your questions.  The sterility issue depends on the person working in PEC, who should be properly trained, aseptically qualified and always working in first-air. I know that a needle tip will start curving (microscopically) after its first use and continues to get worse the more times a needle is reused.  I don't use a needle more than 5 times.   Needles may contain medical-grade silicone and this will wear off over time, making penetration through a septum/stopper more difficult. The plunger of the syringe will also start to "stick" after prolonged use.  The fluid from the bag can be dumped down the drain outside of the cleanroom (because you don't have a sink in a cleanroom :-) ) Hope this helps. 

• Frequency of needle and syringe change
    • What is acceptable to maintain sterility? 
    • Does it need to be changed out every preparation?
    • Can the needle be changed out and the syringe remains the same ?
    • Can the syringe stay and just replace needle after couple of maipulations ?
    • Can the needle stay the same and the syringe be changed out? (this has happened)
  • What is done with the fluid removed from the bags? Is it okay to remove needle and discard syringes with NS outside of cleanroom.
Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.