Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Contributor

extra hand sanitizing steps

Our Provincial Regulating Body, in Canada, is now requiring pharmacies to follow the Model Standards For Pharmacy Compounding of Non-Hazardous Sterile Preparations (NAPRA) guidelines. In the guidelines we are to follow the usual handwashing procedure of washing hands and forearms to the elbow with soap as outlined in USP 797. However after drying the hands and forearms we are instructed to:

• Dispense alcohol-based hand rub (ABHR) with persistent activity onto one palm.
  • Immerse fingertips of the other hand into the ABHR.
  • Cover the forearm of the other hand with ABHR until the ABHR evaporates.
  • Repeat with other hand and other forearm.
  • Don gown.
  • Enter the clean room.

I couldn’t find anything in USP 797 to support these extra steps and was just wondering if anyone else was doing them?

Eric, you are listed as a consultant on the writing of the NAPRA guidelines so was wondering if you had so additional information to support these extra steps or any rational for adding them to our procedure?

Thanks

Highlighted
Expert

Re: extra hand sanitizing steps

Ron,

USP 797 does require the application of an ABHR prior to donning of the gloves.  The NAPRA standard is much more detailed than what is in the USP chapter.  I imagine that the additional information is to aid in the proper use of the important product/step.  I hope this helps. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.