Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Contributor

Vertical or Horizontal Hoods?

With the new technology, available in the clean room, I was wondering what was a better hood design: Vertical or Horizontal? We are looking at pharmacy workflow managers that have a substantial footprint in the hood. We have done some smoke testing with the IV Soft Assist and the vertical hoods seem to work the best. Although we do acknowledge the environment above the scale as different as compared to the environment outside the parameter of the device (sealed containers / no compounding in this area). I would assume this would be the same for TPN compounders: would a vertical hood be a better option? As we look to build a new facility, I am looking for other experiences than our own. Thank you for any input

Expert

Re: Vertical or Horizontal Hoods?

Based on extensive smoke studies that I have been a part of, horizontal airflow is best to use for technology in the PEC.  The PEC (hood) needs to be big enough to allow for an area where first-air is available.  Hope this helps. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Vertical or Horizontal Hoods?

Thank you!!! This was our impression as well but it is nice to have the experience of an expert - we found that a 5- 6 foot hood worked the best to allow the compounding technician adequate space to work.  Have a great weekend