Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advisor

Using Chemo hood for non-hazardous CSPs

[ Edited ]

At boot camp in CT 2015 I thought it was stated that it is OK to use a chemo hood for non-hazardous prep as long as the hood is decontaminated first (eg Peridox).  We've run into a need to use our chemo hood (located in another facility) for prep of some items while our IV room is under minor changes and is under a 12-hr BUD.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure how a product can be contaminated by using the hood - it doesn't seem possible as I don't believe cytotoxic particles are floating in the hood, but is there anything in writing that states it is OK to use a chemo hood for non-hazardous prep?  Our director is looking for something concrete in writing.

Edited to add:  I have since found this thread addressing the issue:

http://forums.pharmacyonesource.com/t5/Pharmacy-Practice/Appropriate-Use-of-Chemo-Room-Hood/m-p/9443...

however I'm still having a tough time finding documentation that addresses this specifically.  Perhaps USP 800 will address this -- perhaps we will learn more regarding this in the Webinar Wednesday.

Betsy Sammarco RPh, MS
Expert

Re: Using Chemo hood for non-hazardous CSPs

Betsy,

I did say at the CHA 797 training program that this activity was permitted as written in the proposed USP 800.  The last revision of USP 800 (December 2014) (the final version will be published on Feb 1, 2016) states:  "A BSC or CACI used for the preparation of HDs must not be used for the preparation of a non-HD unless the non-HD preparation is placed into a protective outer wrapper during removal from the C-PEC and is labeled to require PPE handling precautions."

HD particles should NOT be flying around the BSC.  This C-PEC should have unidirectional airflow so any contamination will be on the surfaces of the BSC.  In order to minimize or prevent the transfer of surface contamination, deactivation, decontamination, cleaning and disinfection practices need to be employed.  Out of the abundance of caution, the language in the chapter was written to protect the nurses administrating this CSP.  Assuming this language is in the final chapter, you have direction on how to go forward.  Hope this helps. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Advisor

Yes Eric!  That helps tremendously! Thank you so very much!

Betsy Sammarco RPh, MS
Advisor

Eric - I'm not sure if this has been asked in other threads (I've looked but couldn't find any similar question) - our question is somewhat similar but reversed - we have an oncology infusion center with an ante-room and only a neg pressure chemo buffer room.  We have 2 BSC's in this room, but have designated one for non-chemo/HD CSP's only.  Do we have to treat these non-chemo/HD CSP's compounded in this "non-chemo" BSC as "contaminated"  and place in protective transport bag and require PPE for administration?  The technician changes gloves and puts on sleeves before compounding the non-chemo BSC.

Thanks for your help.

Dan Murphy

Advisor

To Clarify - I meant non-chemo CSP (not BSC) on the last sentence.  Sorry.

Highlighted
Expert

Dan,

Thanks for your patience.  The answer is yes.  Take a look of USP 800 and you will language supporting your approach.  Hope this helps. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.