Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Advisor

USP 797 Surface sampling and assessment

Per USP Chapter 797 for surface sampling the size of the plate to be used for each sampled location usually ranges from 24 to 30 cm2. Does anyone know this a typo? We use 60 mm contact growth media plate made by Remel and when I talked to their technical support staff they were clueless. They suspect it may mean to cover 24 to 30 cm2 area when someone uses swabs for surface sampling. Any clarification/suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

VIP
VIP

Re: USP 797 Surface sampling and assessment

I agree that it is somewhat confusing since I never seen a plate that wide.  I believe, as the company you referred to, that it means the area to cover rather than the size of the plate.

Carlos M Marin, RPh
Lead Pharmacist/IV Room/Oncology
Overlook Medical Center
99 Beauvoir Ave
Summit, NJ 07901
MailBox #277
O: (908) 522-2294
F: (908) 908-522-2583
carlos.marin@atlantichealth.org

It is not a case we are treating; it is a living, palpitating, alas, too often suffering fellow creature. ~John Brown
Expert

[ Edited ]

This is not a typo. The language in the chapter identifies that the area of surface sample needs to be 24-30 cm2 which is achieved when using a 50-60mm plate.  A 50 mm plate will give you a sampled area of 25cm2, a 60mm plate will give a sampled area of 30 cm2.  The 60mm plate size is the correct plate to use.  

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Occasional Visitor

This is a basic question...how do you actually do the surface sampling once you have the agar plate? Do you obtain a sterile swab and wipe the area with it then wipe the agar plate? Back to microbiology class.  Are there products that you can just remove the cover and then press the agar medium to the surface? thanks

Expert

You get a contact plate that has raised media that you can press to the surface that you want to sample.  If you visit www.pppmag.com, you will find lots of information and resources on doing environmental sampling.  I attached three images that show how to perform surface sampling.

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Occasional Visitor

thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I know this is an old thread ... But I cannot find a good resource on how many surface samples to obtain per hood? We have started doing our surface sampling monthly. When we are certified q6mon they take 2-3 samples per hood. I don't know if this number is arbitrary or if they are basing on our hood size. Any expertise or references would be appreciated.

Alexis