Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Trigger spray items for PEC

We had a vendor tell us that using a trigger spray product, for cleaning or sIPA,  is not recommended and practice is moving toward using pour bottles/wipes only.  Any one else heard this or have data/literature to support this practice?  Thanks!

Advisor

Re: Trigger spray items for PEC

I've only heard of that practice being recommended in USP 800

Expert

As Susie stated, you don't want to spray IPA on your gloves when doing HD compounding.  You should not spray in the PEC and when I work in the PEC, I spray the low-linting wiper immediately outside of the PEC and then use it to clean.  Not sure where this no spray recommendation is coming from but in my opinion, it is urban legend stuff. Hope this helps. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.

Eric,

We do our non HD compounding in an isolator.   We currently use a trigger spray sIPA and low linting wipe for daily use in the isolator.  We are updating our cleaning products and would like to use the RTU trigger sprays. We open the isolator to clean with germicidial/sporicidial, so spraying outside the isolator is not a problem.  What about disinfecting with sIPA when the isolator is closed and for routinely disinfecting of gloves and isolator work surface during compounding?  Thank you for your constant feedback with USP 797.  It is an overwhelming responsibility at times and it helps to know that some guidance is available. 

Thank you!

Expert

Glad to help you.  You can certainly use the IPA spray within the isolator since the airflow will sweep away the mist.  Pre-saturated sIPA wipes would also be a viable option to consider using in the isolator.  

Occasional Contributor

I have also heard the recommendation not to spray anything in the HD compounding area. I'd have to check my notes, might have been in USP <800> course I took in June.

I think this is an extrapolation of info in <800>.

Section 15.3 talks about surface decontamination of HD vials and says "To avoid spreading HD residue, spray the wiper, not the HD container."  That makes sense, since we know the vial exteriors can be contaminated.

The thinking, as I remember it being explained, was that If spraying can spread HD residue from a vial, then it could potentially do the same with residue anywhere in the HD compounding area. And, since we have to assume there may be contamination inside the hood, and possibly on other surfaces in the room, the safest way to proceed may be not to spray anywhere in the HD compounding area.

Expert

Yes, no spraying in the HD PEC or room.  Use wipers that have the appropriate cleaning/disinfecting agents on them to wipe off the contamination.