Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Contributor

Segregated compounding room mop question

We currently have a CAI located in a segregated compounding room (not ISO 7).  The CAI meets 797 dynamic operating criteria (ISO 5 on ingress/egress etc.).  We have been using Pharma-mop disposable non-linting covers for daily and three-time cleaning at an annual cost of nearly $2200.  797 states that a microfiber cleaning program can be used if validated process acceptable.  Our environmental services uses microfiber mops for cleaning of patient rooms, which are laundered on-site and reused.  Would it be acceptable to use this system in our segregated compounding room?  Mop handles would obviously stay in cleanroom at all times. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Segregated compounding room mop question

Clarification-We use the pharma-mop covers for daily and three time cleaning of the floors etc-not inside the hood

Expert

Doug,

I don't see an issue with it but you might consult with your hospital infection preventionist to discuss this matter to make sure they are in agreement with this strategy. How often will you replace them? 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Occasional Contributor

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.  We would remove the used microfiber mophead daily after use and replace with a freshly laundered one the next day.  I discussed with infection control and they have no objections to this plan.  Their one suggestion is to have our mop-heads laundered separate from mopheads used in patient rooms to minimize any possible contamination.

We are putting the finishing touches on a separate neg pressure room with a CACI vented outside for low volume chemo preparation.  I'm planning to use the one-time use, disposable pharma-mop covers/mops in that room as I don't want to run the risk of trace chemo in the laundry.  Thanks again for your input.

Sincerely,

Doug Mayer, Pharm.D.