Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Highlighted
Administrator

Pharmacy in Community Hospitals Webinar

[ Edited ]

Thanks for joining our webinar with Misty Boachie, who discussed establishing clinical pharmacy programs for community hospitals.

View the on-demand recording or download the slides.

Have a question for Misty? Post it here and she will respond for a limited period of time.

Administrator

Re: Pharmacy in Community Hospitals Webinar

Here is a question from one of our live attendees:

What types of anticoagultion monitoring are you performing? Do you currently counsel all inpatients receiving warfarin? Are you targeting specific antibiotics in your surveillence program?

Expert

Re: Pharmacy in Community Hospitals Webinar

Hi!

All of these are awesome questions!  Thanks!

1.  All of our anticoag monitoring is report-driven.  We have a warfarin list that shows every warfarin patient and respective INR's.  We have a "HIT" report that shows every heparin and Lovenox patient along with platelet and H/H values.

2.  Our current staffing model does not allow us to counsel every patient.  We have built-in coumadin teaching redundancy b/c nursing, dietary, and pharmacy each play an educational roll.  Our thinking is that if one department can't provide counseling, another department will.  And in the best case scenario, a patient will be counseled by 3 different disciplines regarding warfarin.

3.  We don't target specific antibiotics.  We review a report that shows everyone in the house who is receiving an anti-infective.  We also look at a report that shows every patient with a positive culture.  Again, redundancy, is critical for us.  Infection Prevention reviews the same reports.

I hope this is helpful to you.  Please don't hesitate to reach out to me.  I wish you well!

Misty