Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Advisor

Peridox RTU for decontamination and cleaning

I just want to know if anyone is using Peridox RTU for cleaning their hoods after mixing chemotherapy drugs. I read that it is a decontamination agent and a cleaning agent as well. Is this okay to use then alcohol after? Or do I need another cleaning agent?

Thank you for your help!
Advisor

Re: Peridox RTU for decontamination and cleaning

We are using Peridox for decontamination at Vanderbilt.  Our rep told us that for decontamination, 2 applications are required with a dwell time of 3 minutes for the second application.  We follow with sterile water and alcohol.  If you reach out to the company, they have decontamination procedures they can provide. 

Frequent Advisor

I use Peridox in my BSC and in my negative pressure rooms.  Two applications are required for sporicidal action when cleaning the BSC (see product literature).  I love it because it doesn't pit stainless steel like bleach and I don't have to mix anything.  We use it in the hoods and on counters, walls, and floors in the negative pressure hazardous drug room.  It cleans and doesn't seem to leave a residue.  My facility hasn't done wipe testing for chemo residue so I don't have any before/after data since we switched to this product to tell me if it works better for decontamination than a homemade bleach mixture followed by sodium thiosulfate.  We do always finish with sIPA when cleaning the BSC.  We have found the odor is a bit too much for the positive pressure rooms.  I had a sensitive individual have an asthma attack so we switched back to bleach for our sporicidal agent in the positive pressure areas.  Personally I think the bleach smell is just as bad but the product does have a warning for asthmatics.

Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your reply. I watched the video on how they cleaned the hood. It says after wiping it twice you can use alcohol already. Is it your preference to use water after peridox ?
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Maureen for your reply. Just wondering, whenever you use peridox, do you still use another cleaning agent to alternate it with the peridox? I know we need to alternate cleaning agent but since peridox is used for decontamination and cleaning, not sure if I still need to alternate it with something. And I know peridox is a sporicidal and I'm not sure if it's good to use it daily?
Frequent Advisor

I use the Peridox daily in the BSC for routine cleaning and anytime we need to decontaminate and clean.  i tried to use it once/week in the non-hazardous areas but we had the asthma problem with one of our employees.

Occasional Advisor

Maureen, do you still use other germicidal/sporicidal besides peridox for your hazardous area? I know you need to alternate a cleaning agent, right? I'm planning to implement decontamination and cleaning using peridox. I just need to make sure that we are still meeting the requirement. And I know it's required to rotate your cleaning agents. Thanks again!
Frequent Advisor

I have not been rotating in this area.  We are just using the Peridox.  I use Preempt RTU daily in the clean room with Clorox healthcare germicidal cleaner (bleach) once a week as my sporicidal agent.  I probably won't change unless my viable air samples show a problem.  Simple is better for all involved.

Occasional Visitor

@ Novant Health Oncology we use Peridox RTU decontaminate and as sporicidal with the recommended 3 minute dwell time. We follow that with a disinfectant with a 3 minute dwell followed by Sterile IPA.

Visitor

Do you know if two applications of Peridox RTU are required for daily cleaning of a BSC in a negative pressure room after preparation of hazardous drugs?  If I am understanding it correctly, the second application is required for sporicidal action which would be a once weekly requirement.