Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contributor

Non-Hazardous in Vertical Hood

Our facility is located in California. The way our hazardous sterile compounding area is laid out is: ISO7 ante room (with sink) that leads to our ISO7 negative pressure room. Within the ISO7 negative pressure room, we have two ISO5 BSC (vertical) hoods.

We're currently having a dilemma about how to compound our non-hazardous meds (i.e. ondansetron, granisetron).

Does anyone know if it is possible to make non-hazardous meds in a BSC (vertical) hood? We were thinking of segregating all the non-hazardous meds and making it in one of the ISO7 BSC hood, then segregating the hazardous/chemo meds in the other ISO7 BSC hood. We can't remember if it's written somewhere in law or USP797/USP800 that frowns on this type of practice or not. We're definitely not going to comingle the meds in one hood. They will be segregated out.

Advisor

Re: Non-Hazardous in Vertical Hood

According to the "Chapter 800 Answer Book" page 77, 12.3-11

"<800> allows this for occasional use, but it is not ideal"

The issue is that if you compound a non-hazardous dose in a hood used for hazardous compounding (and I think that would extend to compounding it in a room used for hazardous compounding) you then must treat that compounded dose as hazardous (becuase we assume that the hood/room is contaminated and so the dose you prepared there might be contaminated)  - which means you must transport, administer and dispose of it as you would a hazardous drug.

The type of hood is not the issue, so I imagine you might be ok to use a BSC that has never been used for HD compounding, or has been decontaminated as you would before hood disposal, however there is still the issue of contamination in the room.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Non-Hazardous in Vertical Hood

Thank you for the reference.

It looks like that Chapter <800> answer book is pretty helpful. Because I also saw another question I had about if it was possible to compound an hazardous and non-antineoplastic med in a LAFW.