Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Advisor

Luer Lock connections and USP <800>

Hello,

We are trying to get our facility in complete compliance with USP<800> and I have run across and issue that I need help with. 

Does a luer lock connection between a medication cassette and tubing meet usp <800> standards?  I know that we are required to put a CSTD on the end of the tubing to connect it to the patient to prevent liquid and vapor leakage, but wasn't sure about the simple luer lock connection that attaches the iv tubing to the cassette.

Thanks,

Tina

Occasional Advisor

Re: Luer Lock connections and USP <800>

Still looking for some guidance here if anyone has anything to add.  I attached a picture of what I am talking about.

Thanks,

Tina

Expert

Tina,

Thanks for your patience. Unless there is a specific CSTD connector that is compatible with the cassette tubing, I think you are OK.  It will be important to show that nursing knows (via SOPs) that they cannot disconnect the luer lock.  The chapter states: 

"CSTDs should be used when compounding HDs when the dosage form allows. CSTDs must be used when administering antineoplastic HDs when the dosage form allows. CSTDs known to be physically or chemically incompatible with a specific HD must not be used for that HD."

Hope this helps. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Occasional Advisor

Thank you so much for responding.  That is what I was thinking as well.  I have talked with numerous companies that manufacture CSTD and none of them had a solution.  I just wanted another opinion.

Thanks again,

Tina 

Expert

Glad to help. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Occasional Advisor

I have a question regarding this aspect of the chapter.

"CSTDs should be used when compounding HDs when the dosage form allows. CSTDs must be used when administering antineoplastic HDs when the dosage form allows. CSTDs known to be physically or chemically incompatible with a specific HD must not be used for that HD."

Which dosage forms would fall under the clause of not using CSTDs when administering HDs?  Would a subq or im dose be considered a must use a CSTD situation?  Or would it be ok to send a subq or im HD dose with and appropriate needle attached to the syringe minus the CSTD?