Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Highlighted
Administrator

IV Room Flow Webinar

[ Edited ]

Thanks for joining Eric S. Kastango's presentation, "Watch Your Step: IV Room Flow with USP 797."

View the on-demand recording, download the slides and download the review guide.

Have a question about your own IV room flow? Ask it here and Eric will do his best to answer your questions.

Occasional Visitor

Re: IV Room Flow Webinar

We have currently a new Hospira IV bag system (Vis IV) that has pull tabs to access the injection ports.   Our old bags contained no such system and we used Kendall IV Security seals to show that the bag has been compromised.  Are these seals even necessary with the new bags that have the pull tabs that show that a compromise has taken place?

Occasional Visitor

How do we get copies of the slides presented? I missed that information. Thanks

Administrator

Here are some questions from our live presentation:

Q: Are wipes used to clean off HD supplies going into the negative pressure room considered HD (since there are traces amount of chemo contamination on the outside packaging form the manufacturer)?

Q: Can you comment on the new Compounding regulations in California SB1735 and how they differ from USP 797?

Q: Can you describe the gowning and garbing procedures when using a mobile isolation chamber that is not in a clean room?

Q: Do you still need this on the floor if the areas are defined by doorway closures?

Q: During the monthly deep cleaning, should all products be re-wiped down or is it sufficient to wipe down the bins they are in?

Q: What are your thoughts on the sticky mats?

Occasional Visitor

The barrier between our ante room and our buffer area is currently strip curtains, but we are getting bids to have doors installed. Our questions are whether doors should swing into the buffer area, out to the ante area, or doors which could swing in both directions?  It also introduced the question of door handles and how to enter the room with clean hands without touching doors knobs. 

Doors that swing in both directions would be helpful when technicians enter and exit, they can use their body to push the door, but we are concerned about achieving a good seal around that door versus a hinged door.

What are most cleanrooms using? What is your recommendation?

If a sink located in an ante room is on the opposite corner of the room from the entrance to the buffer area, is it acceptable to have a line of demarcation across the center of the anteroom that divides the room into three areas, with the clean area across the center? We are having a difficult time acheiving a line of demarcation with the sink and entrance to the buffer area being on oppostie corners, there would ultimately be two dirty sides in the room(due to doors on the opposite corners). Thank you for any input on this.

Thank you for your input, excellent webinar today!

Frequent Visitor

Not really IV related, but we are enforcing no food/drinks in the pharmacy main floor area.  Some pharmacists want to have a lid covered drink next to their terminal.  I had a hard time locating anything that states this is prohibited - not TJC, CMS, etc.  I know it is an infection control issue, but where is the reference coming from.  I hope you can help.

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Hi Eric,

Thanks for an excellent presentation yesterday.  If I heard you correctly, when you discussed the proposed changes to USP 797 you mentioned that the venting requirements for BSCs have now been established at 100% vented to the outside (Type B2).  We currently use Type A2 BSCs and plan on using these for our remodeled cleanroom.  Do we have to now consider replacing these hoods with Type B2?  Thanks.  Ross

Ross Simkover, Pharm.D.

Pharmacy Manager

Alta Bates Summit Comprehensive Cancer Center

Frequent Advisor

I am not answering for Eric, but will tell you about the doors in our new cleanroom suite.  We installed sliding glass doors with sensors to automatically open the door.  You can adjust the sensors so that the door doesn't open unless you are standing directly in front it.  The doors also have large "U" shaped handles so that the door can be pushed open and closed with ones elbow in the event of a power failure.  Swinging doors are probably not advised because of the air currents generated when they swing open and close. 

Expert

Ross,

Thanks for your kind words.  There is NOT any operational changes re: venting requirements, it is how it is written in the chapter that is confusing.  As you know, Class II Type B2 BSCs exhaust 100% of the air from the cabinet (single-pass) vs. a Class II Type A2 cabinet that recirculates 70% of the air and exhausts 30%.  The 30% of the air is 100% exhausted when properly connected to a canopy connection.  The existing chapter language is not clear.  Using A2 cabinets that are vented properly are still the best way to go from a cost perspective (energy and cost of pumping all the air necessary to run a B2).  You don't have to change a thing.

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Expert

I am not familiar with the new Hospira bag system but if you added something to the bag, then wouldn't the pull tab be removed?  I will ask if someone else on the forum can help you answer this question.

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.