Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contributor

IV/Chemo room remodel

We are currently looking to remodel our IV/Chemo room. I am looking for guidelines for space requirements, proper spacing of the hoods in the room, lighting and or any other guidelines/requirements for compliance with USP 797 and USP 800.

Our current chemo room is to small as the hoods are placed against the walls preventing cleaning behind the hoods.

Thank you

Louis

Frequent Advisor

Re: IV/Chemo room remodel

Hi Louis,

Have you received any answers yet?  I'm in the same situation.  

Good luck,

Maureen

Expert

Louis and Maureen,

Unless you live in a state board of pharmacy has minimum room size requirements like NJ (you need to check your state BOP laws and rules) on USP 797, there aren't guidelines.  Room size will depend on the number of PECs (aka hoods), people and other equipment. I have attached a couple of articles that are a little dated but give you information on the core design elements of a cleanroom. I attached three tables that detail the performance requirements of the PECs and SECs.  I would strongly suggest that you don't spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars without hiring the right consultant (yes, I do this type of work) and architect because there are nuances to designing and building these spaces.  Hope this helps. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Contributor

Thanks Eric for your advice and information attached. Yes a lot of money involved in this project.

Louis

Frequent Advisor

Thanks Eric!  I especially appreciate the article on the HVAC.  HVAC and air balancing are topics for which I know very little.  (I had the other articles in my files.)  It looks like I'm going to get a chance to fix some design flaws in my crazy ante room area Smiley Happy

Maureen