Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Advisor

Garbing

I'm considering the use of coveralls for my ISO Class 7 clean room.  We currently allow a technician leaving for break to hang up the disposable gown and reuse it during the same shift.  May a coverall be treated in the same manner or do we need dispose of coveralls after each use?

Expert

Re: Garbing

Maureen,

Why go to coveralls? I think they are better and will cover more of the employee, but only if this apparel is worn correctly (i.e., completely zipped up). Yes, you can reuse them but the coveralls must be protected from being dragged on the floor.  You can find a number of videos on donning sterile coveralls, which can help your staff protect the coveralls during the donning and doffing process. Hope this helps. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Re: Garbing

Eric,

Thank you for responding.  I'm considering coveralls because my technicians (and pharmacists) wear scrubs laundered at home and also to make deliveries on the nursing floors.  We do not have a changing area or locker room nearby so changing into hospital-laundered scrubs would be very inconvenient.  My concern is the potential to bring in something from pets at home, mold spores in the air outside, or something from the nursing floors because their pant legs drag on the floor.  My main concern with coveralls is that they are more difficult to use properly.  I was also thinking that they could not be reused so they would be very expensive.

Maureen