Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Administrator

Drug Shortage Crisis: What's Your Solution?

How is your pharmacy managing the current drug shortages? What shortages are giving you the most trouble? Share your tactics and stories here.

Occasional Visitor

Re: Drug Shortage Crisis: What's Your Solution?

Valued Contributor

This pharmacy director has his shortages up on a white board.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/Drug-shortages-skyrocketing-prices-anger-1362707.php#ixz...

What's your strategy?

Advisor

Do not patronize the grey markets or wholesalers who sell to them. Ask your wholesaler if they sell to the grey markets and put pressure on them to discontinue the practice. Insist that they only sell to sell to end user (patient care) providers. Same with the pharmaceutical companies. They grey market has to significantly contribute to the drug shortage situation. Encourage pharmacy organization leaders to address the issure of grey market and take a stand on them.

Advisor

I agree with TSP, especially taking a hard look at speculative purchasing by secondary wholesalers-- it may be legal in a capitalistic marketplace, but it is wreaking havoc with the medication delivery system nationwide.

For my part, I refrain from conversing with "Grey" companies, especially when it comes to giving them any information on what is currently in short supply-- that just means that they will hog any supplies that do reach the primary wholesalers.

The other part of this problem that must be addressed is identifying and working to eliminate "choke points" in the supply of raw materials and manufacturing.  We need to work on  minimizing the effects of natural disasters and politics on the world drug supply.

Occasional Visitor

Noble stand, but we get what we need for our patients by whatever means are now in place.  It's a free market, remember?

Occasional Advisor

I agree with not purchasing from grey market distributors..................but I don't actually know if it is the manufacturers that are entirely to blame in this instance.  We may need to look internally at our fellow pharmacists to place some of the blame. 

From what I have been told on the subject when I was pressuring my wholesale vendor representative about this topic, it is in fact unethical pharmacists/pharmacies that are selling much of the supply to the grey market suppliers. 

If you know of someone engaging in this practice, turn them in.  There is no excuse for this type of activity.  They deserve to lose their license if this is actually going on.

Occasional Collector

Have you thought of partnering with a FDA Registered 503(b) Outsourcing Facility?  We compound many drugs from the shortage list and have them in stock and available for immediate shipment. 

Currently we are compounidng lidocaine with epi, sodium bicarb, sodiun phosphate, sodium acetate and others.