Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Highlighted
Occasional Collector

Dexmedetomidine stability under refrigeration

Good afternoon;

Since dexmedetomidine is currently in short supply, has anyone been batch compounding 4 mcg/ml preparations?

AJHP contained an article in 2013 re: room temp stability in PVC NS infusion bags. Ideally I'd like to extend this BUD to 9 days (under refrigeration) since it would be a medium risk compound; however, the only data I can find re: stability in refrigerator was in polypropylene syringes. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Visitor

Re: Dexmedetomidine stability under refrigeration

We are running into the same problem and can only find the manufacturer's recommendation of 24 hours at room temp.  It would be nice if they had any additional information about storage.

Occasional Collector

Re: Dexmedetomidine stability under refrigeration

Actaully found some guidance subsequent to this posting in April:

Preslanski, Candice et al. Stability of dexmedetomidine in polyvinyl chloride bags containing 0.9% sodium chloride injection. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. August 2013, 70 (15) 1336-1341; DOI: https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp120390 (accessed 10 April 2017).

Also had some input from another institution conducting their own stability studies. They had data to support up to 14 day dating under refrigeration (I believe they concluded the preparation was low risk?)