Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Dehumidifier

I already know the answer to this but just wanted confirmation.

Its been very difficult for our Facilities to adjust the Clean Rooms especially with the hot and humid summer we just had. Their answer was to temporarily use a portable dehumidifier in the room to get the humidity down to 60%. I'm against placing this unit in the Clean Room. Right now, we're at our upper limits of the temperature (68F) and the humidity (60%) but the staff is suffering (with their gown and mask and gloves). It's been tough for them. Am I right to argue against the portable dehumidifier?

Expert

Re: Dehumidifier

A portable unit has standing water is very problematic to have in the buffer room.  How do you know that the airflow in the PECs are not disturb by the blowers?  I strongly recommend against this solution.  They need to introduce the conditioned air in ducts before the HEPA filters. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Advisor

Portable unit used in an ante-room may be permissible - with proper maintenance?

Expert

The chapter is silent but how bad is your humidity issue?  This unit can be a source of microbial contamination.  

Advisor

Humidity below 60 and improving with the end of summer. Currently running mid 40% RH but we were near 55% in late July early August. Made some adjustments watching pressure differentials but a backup plan using a portable dehumidifier was something we talked about.

Expert

If it is below 60% and runs between 40-55, you are fine and don't need one. 

Advisor

Thank you.

Joe

Highlighted
Advisor

I suspect your pharmacy is in large hospital/clinic. In my experience, plant ops has a large air handler for different departments with different requirements. It's best if possible, to have individual air handler for your department only. You have some very tough requirements. Humidity is a big issue in compounding.. and now USP has storage regs coming..which will require some serious engineering for humidity control. Best to alert them and get everything resolved with 1 hvac redesign and a pharmacy dedicated air handler.