Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Decontamination of Hazadous Preparations

With Hospira discontinuing Surface Safe pads, what is everyone else planning to use for decontamination of hazardous CSPs and hoods?

Re: Decontamination of Hazardous Preparations

Good question! Thanks for the head's up, I wasn't aware it was being discontinued. I am working with our Pharmacy Buyer to find out what the options are out there.

Valued Contributor

Attached is the notification letter from Hospira if you have not received.

Advisor

I was not aware this product was being discontinued either.  I have seen studies that suggest that cationic surfactants appear to be effective at "deactivating" chemotherapy agents.  I've not hear of anyone using them to clean a hood, however.  Does anyone have any information on using cationic surfactants in a hood?

Expert

If we review the ingredients of Surface Safe, we are dealing with sodium hypochlorite (typically 2% bleach solution), sodium thiosulfate to neutralize the bleach so it won't pit the stainless, and a high pH cationic detergent.  You can make your own solution and sequentially clean your BSC or CACI using the same steps that were used when using the Hospira product.   

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Advisor

This is good to know - are there any specific recipes posted anywhere for preparing a decontamination solution.

Betsy Sammarco RPh, MS
Occasional Contributor

For 100ml of Sodium Thiosulfate 1%/Benzyl Alcohol 0.9%:

Benzyl Alcohol NF  0.9ml

Purified Water USP 100ml

Sodium Thiosulfate USP 1 GM

rz
Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

With a backorder status and short supply of sodium thiosulfate for injection and powder/crystals unavailable - it probably isn't a good idea for us all to start using up the supply of sodium thiosulfate injection that there is on cleaning our chemo hoods and surfaces. We are still using this with some routine in our pediatric cardiac population for our nitroprusside infusions. Admittedly our use has dramitically declined - but we still have some regular use. 

Perhaps this is why the surface safe was discontinued - no source of sodium thiosulfate???

Occasional Visitor

Our EVS department has a product called Dispatch which is essentially 0.65% bleach solution.  Since this is more dilute than the surface safe, we may try this out for cleaning and follow up with sterile alcohol.

Any thoughts if this dilute bleach solution will pit our hood?

Hoping that another company will pick the Surface Safe system back up.

Occasional Visitor

Re: Decontamination of Hazadous Preparations

I am being told by other industry vendors that the "industry standard" for 797 is a 0.52% sodium hypochlorite solution and that sodium thiosulfate is not necessary to neutralize the bleach, cleaning procedures should be to use the 0.52% bleach solution, then use sterile water, and then terminally clean with sterile alcohol.  Will 0.52% inactivate cytotoxic agents as well as the 2% bleach solution used in Surface safe?  Will the use of sterile water remove enough bleach to protect my stainless steel hoods from pitting, or do we really need to use sodium thiosulfate which chemically neutralizes the bleach?

Thanks