Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Contributor

Cleaning Refrigerators

We had a CA Board of Pharmacy inspection and one of the focus points was on cleaning and maintenance of all equipement involved with sterile compounding. We had documentation regarding tracking the temperature and calibrating the fridge. However, we were lacking in the documentation of cleaning the refrigerators.

I don't think I saw any verbiage in the CA BOP Law or USP797 regarding this activity. What would be the best practice for cleaning the fridge? Weekly? Monthly? What type of cleaners used? 

Occasional Advisor

Re: Cleaning Refrigerators

I was just going to ask this same question. When we do our monthly cleaning (approx. every 4-5 weeks), we are cleaning all of the outer surfaces of the refrigerators, but never the inside. When cleaning our drug and IV racks, we are cleaning the bins and its contents. Should we be cleaning the drawers, bins, and its contents inside the refrigerators as well?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Expert

Yes, you should be cleaning everything inside the refrigerator to make sure that you eliminate any contamination that could be incubating on supplies.  

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Expert

Use germicidal detergents and sporicidal agents to make sure you have a clean refrigerator.  Everything gets dirty. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the reply. We are using Peridox and PREempt, we rotate these every month.