Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Contributor

Camera's in IV room

I have recently had video camers installed in my IV room, to comply with State Board requirements that tecnicians must be under the supervision of a pharmacist.

The questions I have:  Does anyone have policies that deal with cameras in the IV room?  Are there legal questions about doing this that people have run up against?  Can one record?  Does the staff have to sign off allowing?

Advisor

Re: Camera's in IV room

Wow!  That is certainly one of more stringent BOP requirements that I have heard of in decades of practice.  I am not a lawyer, so I'll let others address the legality of the monitoring, but it would seem to me that it would be within the bounds of an employer's right.

My question to you is, really how much "monitoring" can your pharmacists do of the technicians' work via a small TV monitor?  Do you have the cameras doing close-ups of their hands and can your really see anything but larger movements of bodies around the room?  It sounds like an incredible waste of time and resources (not your fault, I know).  Surely some routine documented walk-throughs by a pharmacist would accomplish the same thing!

Sounds to me like your BOP is over-the-top on this one.  Smiley Frustrated

who
Occasional Visitor

We have the computer system DoseEdge that has a still camera in the hood.   it prompts the technician to scans  the products and take the pictures.  The  pharmacists can verify products after viewing tha pictures.   etc.

Occasional Visitor

I want to tell you guys to quit letting these boards dictate so much crap. Let the techs do the job, have a pharmacist. Tell your hilter finance people. That people need to do people jobs. IV techs at most are excellent..  When will the pharmacist pull together as a group and say enough is enough. I am all about safety, but enough is enough. If you can't trust your highly trained iv techs. Then why have them at all. Its called erosion people, Grow some vegetables, and stand together.

Lou
Established Member

Let me try to address this issue...

The fact that we are now video-taped anywhere when we are not at home reveals that our freedoms are being minimized and reduced....
This issue should and will be challenged in the courts.
The BOP (don't know the state) has (apparently) received the approvals of the state's legislature body and signed off by the governor... is this correct?

This is the reasonwh yevery pharmacist and technician should be involved in what rules/regs/guidelines are being promoted by "your" elected officials.

Now think of this future application....

There are medical centers that are now implementing the production of sterile products from a remote facility/room for several facilities... centralization... with the inclusion and implementation of cameras ... the facility does not need a pharmacist, in the flesh and at the site, to supervise.... therefore the number of pharmacists will be decreased proportionately...
Since I have had experience in the legal community as an expert witness on Pharmacy practice etc... this is the ideal setting that I would pursue in malpractice litigation. 
This issue is a major blow to the Pharmacy profession but again... what is bad for one is good for another.
Where are the academia professionals and all the leaders of Pharmacy in this issue?
Let's continue the conversation....

Advisor

Maybe the original poster could clarify for us if this requirement for video monitoring is really the final opinion of this particular BOP, or just the overzealous interpretation of regulations by a single inspector.

I think we have all had experiences with individual surveyors or consultants who have succeeded in turning a perfectly acceptable pharmacy operation upside down with red tape....until cooler heads prevail upon review of the issue.

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

I am a pharmacist of over 12 years and I have had great working relationships with pharmacy technicians. I would not trust my license in their hands though.  As I review the state laws, I find that there is a requirement for pharmacists to "supervise" technicians. What does supervise mean.  Having a pharmacist present in the pharmacy is not supervising the techs. Supervision should mean the ability to review every action of the technician especially when preparing critical drugs where serious bodily injury or death can occur i.e... TPN, Chemo, Peds and other IV medications.

I have not had the privilege to work where the IV room was video taped but I would feel more comfortable if that technology was in place.  I applaud every director and hospital who is willing to invest in protecting their patients and pharmacists with advanced technology.