Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

1 or 2 ante-rooms

I was thinking about the relationship of a shared ante-room between your HD and non-HD clean rooms. Would it be better to have sub-ante designated between both areas.  I was thinking of this type of design:

Ante Room – ISO 8 – Positive Pressure (+) - this area would have a sink for hand washing and the pharmacy personnel would adorn clean room attire.  This area would have a line of demarcation (dirty vs clean).  Note if planning to go into the HD room, a second pair of booties would be worn.

Then the staff would go into one of two sub-ante rooms. This would be an area of greater pressure than the Ante Room and have an ISO 7 classification.  One the HD side, the employee would adorn a chemo gown and respiratory equipment would be kept in this area.  A line of demarcation would be present to designate contaminated vs non-contaminated.  Clean supplies for the rooms, sterile gloves, hand ETOH, etc. would be kept in both sub-ante. 

My concern having just one ante-room is the environment might contaminate the HD clean room. As we all know, the sink can be a great source of growth.  If I have this area positive pressure to my HD room, I am concern of contamination risk.  Am I over thinking the design of this environment? 

Expert

Re: 1 or 2 ante-rooms

Benedictdp,

You can have two anterooms and that would be an ideal situation.  You can also manage the spread of contamination through robust work practices by using a doffing line inside the negative-pressure buffer room.  I am attaching a couple of articles that was just written discussing this work practice.  

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Occasional Contributor

Re: 1 or 2 ante-rooms

Thank you for the references and your insight