Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Administrator

NHSN Reporting Webinar

[ Edited ]

Thanks for joining our webinar with Joan Hebden, who discussed best practices for standardized definitions in NHSN.

View the on-demand recording or download the slides.

Have a question for Joan? Post it here and she will respond for a limited period of time.

Occasional Visitor

Re: NHSN Reporting Webinar

My question is about which month to report a case:  An appendectomy done 11/23 done as outpatient, readmitted as inpatient on 12/7 with intra-abdominal abscess. Which month is it reported as an SSI, in Nov or Dec? And, which surgical procedures do i use for my denominator and for which month?

Advisor

Joan, here are 10 questions we were not able to get to on the live line:

1. Are  Kansas hospitals mandated to report HAIs to NHSN?

2. Is it mandatory that we begin to report for ICU CAUTI in January 2012 or ALL CAUTI?

3. I depend on Sanford in Sioux Falls, SD for the definitions that I have for HAI/community acquired.  Where can I find these definitions so I can check to make sure that I have the correct definitions according to CDC, NHSN?

4. If a port is re-accessed, do you use the original access date of insertion or the re-accessed date?

5. Is the reporting of CAUTI's required even if not participating in the study and if our state only requires KPROs we do not have to enter all cases for other HAIs for num and denom?

6. Please provide the standardized definitions for community acquired infections and hospital acquired infections.

7. Re: the slide that said that a temp of 38.0 is not to be counted does that mean that a temp of 100.4 F is not to be counted that it must be 100.5 F or higher?  Thanks

8. The slide said the HAI reporting is part of VBP, isn't part of Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting program? VBP for next year only has SCIP measures is my understanding

9. What is the reference /url for the last NHSN site?

10. Where did you get the information about the type of SSI , deep/organ space, vs. superficial?

Pharmacy OneSource

[ Edited ]

ebennett wrote:

My question is about which month to report a case:  An appendectomy done 11/23 done as outpatient, readmitted as inpatient on 12/7 with intra-abdominal abscess. Which month is it reported as an SSI, in Nov or Dec? And, which surgical procedures do i use for my denominator and for which month?

Hi, It appears that you are doing both in-patient and outpatient SSI surveillance. The procedural denominators for each site should be maintained separately. Infections are associated with the month the procedure was performed, in this case November and this infection is within the 30 day period and attributable to the outpatient procedure. Thanks for your question and commitment to accurate surveillance. Joan

Highlighted
Pharmacy OneSource

[ Edited ]

1. Are  Kansas hospitals mandated to report HAIs to NHSN?

No - the bill for mandatory HAI reporting died in the 2008 session with no new bill introduced.

2. Is it mandatory that we begin to report for ICU CAUTI in January 2012 or ALL CAUTI?

The details regarding CMS reporting of CA-UTIs are not well-articulated on the website but it appears that reporting is to be for all CA-UTIs that are not present on admission with data collection to begin in January 2012.

3. I depend on Sanford in Sioux Falls, SD for the definitions that I have for HAI/community acquired.  Where can I find these definitions so I can check to make sure that I have the correct definitions according to CDC, NHSN?

The NHSN definitions for HAIs can be found on the NHSN website http://www.cdc.gov/search.do?queryText=NHSN+HAI+definitions&searchButton.x=47&searchButton.y=17&acti... 

4. If a port is re-accessed, do you use the original access date of insertion or the re-accessed date?

I think your question is best addressed by the NHSN team.

5. Is the reporting of CAUTI's required even if not participating in the study and if our state only requires KPROs we do not have to enter all cases for other HAIs for num and denom?

Specific questions regarding mandated state reporting should be referred to your Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

6. Please provide the standardized definitions for community acquired infections and hospital acquired infections.

These definitions are available in the NHSN manual on the website.

7. Re: the slide that said that a temp of 38.0 is not to be counted does that mean that a temp of 100.4 F is not to be counted that it must be 100.5 F or higher?  Thanks

Yes - >38C

8. The slide said the HAI reporting is part of VBP, isn't part of Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting program? VBP for next year only has SCIP measures is my understanding

VBP is part of the Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting and HAI reporting currently includes CLABSI and SSI reporting as specified on my slide.

9. What is the reference /url for the last NHSN site?

URL is on my slide (see links above) 

10. Where did you get the information about the type of SSI , deep/organ space, vs. superficial?

See the NHSN procedure-associated module on the website