Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Administrator

Infection Prevention in Long Term Care Webinar

Thanks for joining our webinar with Brenda Roup, who presented "How Maryland Increased Infection Prevention and Control Activities in Long Term Care Facilities."

Have a question for Brenda? Post it in our webinar thread for her to answer.

Administrator

Re: Infection Prevention in Long Term Care Webinar

Here is one question from our live presentation:

Q: You mention that early detection of an outbreak is key.  In my setting I am met with much resistance to put any types of controls in place because of the population being on an Alzheimers locked unit.  Any suggestions how to address?

Expert

Re: Infection Prevention in Long Term Care Webinar

[ Edited ]

Q: You mention that early detection of an outbreak is key.  In my setting I am met with much resistance to put any types of controls in place because of the population being on an Alzheimers locked unit.  Any suggestions how to address?

Prevention of transmission of organisms on dementia units is very difficult, if not impossible. What we recommend from DHMH in Maryland is (1) the staff should stay cohorted on that unit, (2) all residents' hands are cleaned with alcohol based solution or wiped with an alcohol based wipe frequently by the staff - possibly every hour, depending upon how many people are vomiting or have diarrhea or coughing, (3) environmental cleaning is stepped up and meticulous, and (4) sick staff to stay home.  Whatever the cause of the outbreak ( and on these units it is most often gastrointestinal or respiratory) these are the primary things that can be done. You can't keep these residents in their rooms, nor keep from them the various "things" they like to carry around with them. You can just do the best you can.