Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Anonymous

Cefazolin syringes and applying needles

We outsource our cefazolin syringes and store them in a refrigerator to use pre-op.  We have noticed that the nurses are attaching needles to the syringes and replacing them in the refrigerator until they are needed.  My concern is that when they attach a needle, is this compromising the sterility and should a different expiration date be used?  My thought is to attach the needle at the time of administration but the nurses say that the anesthesiologists want them attached for them .....

Thanks

Nancy

nmartin@cvsh.com

Occasional Advisor

Re: Cefazoln syringes and applying needles

I'd remind them that the caps are placed on the syringes while in the clean room. Opening the cap, placing a needle on the syringe is the same as opening for use and they need to discard it because they've exposed the drug to open air contaminates. and this can't be done.

I dont know if i could put an exact expiration on it, but at least from 797 it would be considered 'immediate use' now because it was not opened in a sterile environemnt.

Expert

I would agree with Solsken's assessment of the situation.  It is like spiking an IV bag and letting it sit around.  It isn't an entirely closed system in my mind. 

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Anonymous

Thanks to both of you.  That was my thinking but I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Nancy

Occasional Advisor

for more info please see this 

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Re: Cefazolin syringes and applying needles

Yes I agree with your opinon Nancy, you are right at your end.

Progynon Depot