Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Administrator

Antibiotic Stewardship Webinar

[ Edited ]

Thanks for joining our webinar with Linda Greene, RN, MPS, CIC - "Antibiotic Stewardship: the Role of Infection Prevention."

View the on-demand recording or download the slides.

Have a question for Linda? Post it here and she will do her best to answer.

Administrator

Re: Antibiotic Stewardship Webinar

Here are questions from our live presentation:

Q: Do you have any antimicrobial stewardship tools for daily rounding?

Q: What are your thoughts regarding antibiotic prophylaxis before dental when patients have had a total joint? For example:forever until death?

Q: I have found that most of our HAIs are C diff. - all of these patients are in fluoroquinolones and cephalosporins. When I asked the IC chair he told me that he feels he needs to use these abx because they are part of the Pneumonia core measure. What are your thoughts?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Antibiotic Stewardship Webinar

Q: Do you have any antimicrobial stewardship tools for daily rounding?

I am including a link to some great tools. I will also post a tool specific to IPs.

http://www.shea-online.org/PriorityTopics/AntimicrobialStewardship/ImplementationToolsResources.aspx 

Q: What are your thoughts regarding antibiotic prophylaxis before dental when patients have had a total joint? For example:forever until death?
Here is a reference to the guidelines: http://www.aaos.org/research/guidelines/PUDP/PUDP_guideline.pdf 

In 2012, the ADA and American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons updated the recommendations and no longer recommend antibiotics for everyone with artificial joints. As a result, this is evaluated on a case by case basis and the  healthcare provider may rely on personal medical history to determine when antibiotics are appropriate for people with orthopedic implants. For example, antibiotic prophylaxis might be useful for patients who also have compromised immune systems (due to, for instance, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, chemotherapy, and chronic steroid use), which increases the risk of orthopedic implant infection.

Q: I have found that most of our HAIs are C diff. - all of these patients are in fluoroquinolones and cephalosporins. When I asked the IC chair he told me that he feels he needs to use these abx because they are part of the Pneumonia core measure. What are your thoughts?

C difficle is an important outcome related to antibiotics. Providers must rely on clinical judgement and a cephalsporins may be the drug of choice given the situation. However, there are also acceptable options. Probably, the best course of action might be to review your data with the IC chair  and have he/she help generate solutions. Sometimes, reviewing your data  with key stakeholders and asking for their help in generating solutions is a helpful option