Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Trusted Contributor

RPh vs. PharmD?

RPh's vs PharmD's: Is there a divide at your workplace between PharmDs and RPhs?

If so, what will it take to have the pharmacy community come together as a whole?

**** If you find this post helpful, please mark it as a solution ****
Visitor

Re: RPh vs. PharmD?

If a registered pharmacist who has a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from her/his respective alma mater does not sign their name with RPh , it cannot be implied that they are, in fact, registered. Registration is with the State Board of Pharmacy. BSPharm, MSPharm, & PharmD are degrees, not  registration credentials. It is appropriate for a registered pharmacist with a BSPharm as their terminal and professional degree to sign his or her name as; "Jane Smith, BSPharm, RPh", just as it is appropriate for a registered pharmacist with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree to sign his or her name as;  "Jane Smith, PharmD, RPh".

A degree awarded by a university does not indicate registration. Any person with a BS, MS, or PharmD degree who is not registered is not practicing pharmacy in the USA--not as a Registered Pharmacist, that is.

Perhaps I don't understand your question.

Trusted Contributor

Hi janik,

Great reply - I am really glad that you pointed this out. I guess a good way to rephrase the question would be to see if there is a divide between PharmD's and BSPharm's?

Thoughts?

Thank you!

**** If you find this post helpful, please mark it as a solution ****
Advisor

@janik

thanks for setting the record straight!  you are absolutely right on the nomenclature.

So now let me ask the intended question...  Is there a divide in real clinical practice between registered pharmacists who have a "BSPharm" degree versus registered pharmacists who have a "PharmD" degree?  Does it make a difference (pay, status, etc..) if you have a clinician with many years of experience and a BSPharm versus a newly minted pharmacist with a PharmD?

charles

Charles Westergard BSPharm, MBA
A concern for patient safety stated, but not carried through into action, is as effective as no concern at all.
Occasional Visitor

My state does not register pharmacists, it liceneses them so I am never comfortable using RPh.  Nowhere on my license does it say anything about regestration.  I tend to use Pharm. as a default.

Advisor

@ kaye

You make a great point.  "Registration" is a state by state issue.  Using it as a professional designation isn't really worth all that much.  Do you have any thoughts about the professional distinctions between "PharmD," BSPharm" and the BCPS designation.  What is the perception between them at your organization?  Does it even matter?

A concern for patient safety stated, but not carried through into action, is as effective as no concern at all.

What state to do you reside in?

I am guessing there is a slight disconnect here simply based on language.   I renew my license annually, however the initial submission to the board to satisfy all licensing requirements (ie NAPLEX, State Law, etc.) constitutes registration and thus my framed initial document from the state notes "Registered Pharmacist" on it.    You may want to check yours.

Occasional Advisor

Of course there's a divide and I think it's been there for years.  Ok, I started in the era when few had PharmD's but was told that with my education I could be as clinically oriented as I desired.  I spent years studying and improving my knowledge and working with other pharmacists and medical professionals.  When the all pharm D program was put in place at the state college of pharmacy, part of the accomodation was to designate ALL PHARMACISTS as DOCTOR of PHARMACY (yes that is what my license says) and the intent was to "grandfather" the BS pharmacists, but that's not what happened.  There are 2 tiers of pharmacists - BS and PharmD - and now I train PharmD's to do their job but I can't do that job because 35 years of experience counts for nothing.  Yeah I guess I'm a little bitter.  However, I'm not spending years and dollars to get an advanced degree that at best I will use for just a few more years (I'm 54 and hope to do part time work soon - it's not worth the stress to keep this up full time). 

Advisor

I'm a BSPharm as well with a vast wealth of experience (Peds/NICU/Peds Heme/Onc and Transplant Medicine).  I've toyed with the idea of getting the BCPS as a way of validating that I am still capable of extensive clinical skills without having the title "PharmD." 

Does anyone think this strategy merits following?  The test is late in the year... I need to get studying :-)

Occasional Advisor

I got my CGP (certified geriatric pharmacist) and actually used it for awhile when the hospital I worked at had a subacute care unit (that had to have a consultant pharmacist to comply to medicare regs).  When I transferred to the military treatment facility that I'm now at, it became of little regard and I let it lapse.  It wasn't worth the effort to keep it up through CE or retesting.  I think that I was still looked on as 'less' than PharmD even though this was advanced certification.Smiley Wink