Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advisor

Re: RPh vs. PharmD?

Academic and title discrimination will never end, even after the last BSPh retires.  Haven't you ever listened to PharmD's compare early 5yr+2yr degrees to the current 6yr base degree!  How about the arguement that PharmD's really need another 2yr residency to be true "Doctors"?

Wise up people, current practitioners want to protect their jobs; and those in academia need to keep recycling unsuspecting students into longer and longer periods of schooling just to head off an eventual glut of practicing pharmacists.

Don't be a victim, get out there, find a job and live your life!  There is more to pharmacy than just preening at the ASHP meetings with the gadflys of our profession who live to compare the lengths of their, ehem, titles with each other.

Visitor

well said

Occasional Advisor

I do agree with much of what you said; however, I take exception to the "current practitioners want to protect their jobs".  Actually what I want is to be able to do a job based on my knowledge and experience.  I feel that much of this has been fueled by the academics - there were and still are plenty of BS pharmacists who can perform clinical functions as good as any PharmD, and as I said previously, there's lots of places where you 'need' a residency in addition to the PharmD since the PharmD is JUST AN ENTRY LEVEL degree.  What a load of horse hockey!  

Occasional Visitor

The only thing that I have to say, is that if you look for jobs, "pharmD preferred" and "pharmD required"are popping up everywhere. As a 19 yr BS pharmacist in hospital, I decided that if I want to work the next 15 years, I should get my pharmD. It isnt required at my work ...yet. But I have browsed around at other facilities' employment sites. I wish experience did make a difference, but I am not sure it is enough. I wish it was like the MD or DO designations, but  I dont think it is. So, I just started my PharmD program. .. it is hard being middle aged ,with a life, going back to school. But I feel like I dont really have a choice. I am learning a lot. It is a really good review so far.

Advisor

That's definitely an issue, although I think your job security varies from institution to institution if you are a BSPh with decades of experience.  Several of my colleagues and I looked at returning to school a decade ago, but none of us could justify the expense vs. saving for our childrens' college education, etc.

My comments were mostly directed at current students who are cloistered in the academic environment and surrounded by the more title conscious sector of our profession.

Pharmacy OneSource

I don't really see divides within pharmacy practice over the BS Pharm vs PharmD degrees. Many folks with BS Pharm degrees have robust practice histories and rich clinical knowledge.

Where I do see a significant amount of debate is on the issue of credentials to provide direct clinical care. In the inpatient setting, ASHP has established an policy aim statement that "all pharmacists providing direct patient care by the year 2020 should have completed a pharmacy residency". This has been controversial. First, the practical side of it is that there are insufficient residency practice training sites to meet this demand. Second, completing a residency may not be necessary for providing high-quality care. The concept here is following the medical model and it addresses the continued specialization and knowledge depth required for pharmacy practice. I think the goal is lofty , but well intended.

The issue of credentials and skill levels is in the ambulatory care setting regarding reimbursement. As insurers begin to entertain ideas for reimbursing pharmacists for clinical services, they want to know how they can assure a pharmacist is qualified to provide the service in a way that assures value to the payer. Some are pushing for the BPS certification as a criteria for credentials (esp the new amb care specialty cert). Hot topic!

I am interested in opinions on any of the above!

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

I'm currently studying BSPS and I think it is unfair that a PharmD outweighs years of experience. I find it better to just go into the workforce and learn to perfect my craft rather than spend tons of money on Pharmacy School. I was just wondering how does one become a registered pharmacist with a BSPS? Do you need to just start out as a hospital pharmacy technician and then after x amount of years ask for a higher position? It's very unfair that now there is only pharmacy technicians and PhamD's with no intermediate. There should be something like a 2 year masters degree to become a Pharmacist Assistant similar to Physician Assistant. I know that now having a BSPS means you should just go work in industry, but what if you have a passion for working in a hospital? There really isn't much opportunity to grow as a pharmacy technican. 

Thanks.