Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional Visitor

Re: How did you get into a Pharmacy Career?

Thought about medicine. Had a cousin that wanted to be a dentist (-He's now a for real rocket scientist with NASA). We had 2 uncles who were dentists. Didn't sound like too much fun, then my grandfather told me about his brother who was a pharmacist in Chattanooga before I was born. Decided senior year of high school that was for me...that or go to Viet Nam. Decisions. Decisions. That was over 40 years ago. Still happy with my choice.

Occasional Visitor

Hi, I am a new CPhT in WA. I orginally went into psychology, but decided even though i really liked it, it wasent the right profession to me. So i decided to attend school for pharmacy technician.  My mom is a nurse, so i have haaad lots of exposure to medical through her. I found that the way drug interact with peoples body, is really fasinating. Its still a feild where your helping others everyday, and i like that. It is really fasinating and its always changing and theres always something new to read, learn about. I did my intership at a home infusion clinic. It was great. I really enjoyed it. I plan on becoming a IV technician. I am a very deatiled orinated and organized person, so i fit well into this feild. My OCD is put to a good cause. Smiley Happy My pharmacist had me watch the webinar about Emily Jerry and it was truly inspiring. That is how i came across this site. Thanks

Expert

In 7th grade, we had a career fair and I visited with a pharmacist and an architect.  My first passion was for architecture, though I was interested in pharmacy.  The summer of 1977 (between junior and senior year of high school) I attended a 6 week architecture course at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA.   My grade was a C+ and my instructor STRONGLY recommended that I NOT pursue architecture as a career.  I was devastated, so I went into my senior year scrambling liking math and sciences and applied to Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Ohio State University (Chemical Engineering).  I got accepted to both schools and since I had moved from NJ to Massachusetts in the summer of 1977 also, I decided to stay closer to home and enrolled in Mass College of Pharmacy.  The rest is history and it was a great decision that I am quite happy with since I love being a pharmacist and have been very blessed with wonderful life experiences and opportunities.  

Eric S. Kastango, MBA, RPh, FASHP

It's all about the patient.
Visitor

I took the really long road.  I started college thinking I wanted to be a veterinarian, but then switched over to general biology and education. I got my BA in biology with honors, as well as a teaching certificate.  There was supposed to be a science teacher shortage, so I thought it would be easy to get a teaching job. Wrong! They all wanted at least 5 years experience, so I ended up not teaching. I ended up doing laboratory research for ten years in all kinds of labs: academic, hospital, and two pharmaceutical companies. After that, I finally got a teaching job in a small private school, so I taught for a few years. My last year teaching was three different jobs for six days a week, not very sustainable. 

After the teaching I went into administrative duties for various companies, including a biotech firm. I learned how to handle clients. I realized that this might not be what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, so I did some research and tried to find something that would use my science skills and my newly acquired administrative skills. That is how I ended up taking courses to certify as a pharmacy technician. I certified in January of this year, and here I am, looking to get in!

VIP
VIP

It was during a visit to my uncle's pharmacy in NYC.  He invited me there to persuade me to study pharmacy rather than civil engineering.  I was not thinking of pharmacy, at all, but he believed that I would be very successful as a pharmacist.  He actually told me that I could literally pick my own hours??  I spent a few days with him and he wine and dined me.  I later applied to pharmacy school instead of an engineering school.  I, obviously, graduated and became a pharmacist.  To my surprise, so far, I have not been able to pick the hours I would like to work!  I guess that will come later, right? Man Wink

Carlos M Marin, RPh
Lead Pharmacist/IV Room/Oncology
Overlook Medical Center
99 Beauvoir Ave
Summit, NJ 07901
MailBox #277
O: (908) 522-2294
F: (908) 908-522-2583
carlos.marin@atlantichealth.org

It is not a case we are treating; it is a living, palpitating, alas, too often suffering fellow creature. ~John Brown
Occasional Contributor

I got a job at CVS. I applied online and it went to the store that I designated but the district manager is the one who contacted me and hired me over the phone. I am not even certified. I ended up going to a different CVS than what I put on the application. I trained at a slow store and then went to a faster store. I know they really need techs so I would definately apply online. Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

To become a pharmacist I earned a Doctor of Pharmacy degree (PharmD) from a  college of pharmacy that has received accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. PharmD programs was  six academic years long. Four year programs consist only of the professional phase of the pharmacy curriculum—students do their prerequisite coursework before they are admitted—while six year programs also include pre-professional coursework. Now i am happy Smiley Happy

Occasional Visitor

When i was in the college i joined B Pharmacy because i want to make my carrier in medical field and i also want to open my home and health care trust so that i could serve people who suffering from dementia. Than i make decision that there is a need of dementia care plan. There's a long learning curve for pharmacists, usually starting with two years of professional study at a college or university before beginning a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program at a college of pharmacy that generally takes four years to complete.

Occasional Advisor

I'm actually JUST starting out! I'm fascinated with science and Math. I'm really good at it, too! And I'd like a career in the healthcare field, slightly less stressful than being a doctor. I'm currently looking into the courses at Careerstep (click here) and I'm really hoping things work out for me! 

Occasional Visitor

During a hiatus from my graduate program in marine ecology I was sitting at breakfast reading the ingredients label from a cereal box when my mother-in-law(a 20+ yr hospital nurse) said, "You should be a pharmacist". 

I was an obedient son-in-law.