Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trusted Contributor

How did you get into a Pharmacy Career?

Let's get to know each other!

Post as much or as little as you would like. What made you decide on a career in Pharmacy? What do you do within Pharmacy? How were you drawn to that area?

**** If you find this post helpful, please mark it as a solution ****
VIP
VIP

Re: How did you get into a Pharmacy Career?

Funny you should ask, it was totally by accident. I wanted to be a doctor, not sure why. Started out as an engineering major in college, liked the math, physics, etc. Started taking my other science requirements for med school and found that I really liked biology and chemistry more than math and physics. Fell in love with organic chemistry and decided to look for a "medical" career where I could apply my chemistry. Changed my major to chemistry and applied to pharmacy school. The rest is history.

Occasional Advisor

I was sick alot when I was a young and figured that it would be easy to do since I had experience with many meds.  The joke was on me - I don't take any of them anymore.  Smiley Happy

Advisor

I was on the 6-year plus plan in college without any idea what I was going to do.  I was taking a lot of sciences (organic chem, biochem, biology) but also course like botany, communications, anthropology and philosophy - I loved philosophy.  I was working in a genetics lab part time (this was before genetics had found a place in medicine - pre- humanized insulins) and thinking I might go into research full time.  I love to answer big questions and always wanted to be a scientist growing up.  My girlfriend at the time had just been accepted into the pharmacy program.  I remember very clearly hanging out at her place one day, thumbing through the course catalog thinking "what am I going to do with my life," watching MTV and hearing her say, "why don't you just put an application into the pharmacy school and see what happens?"  It didn't require significant calculus (which I was horrible at) and the rest, as they say, is history....

Charles Westergard BSPharm, MBA
A concern for patient safety stated, but not carried through into action, is as effective as no concern at all.
Advisor

I started out working as a delivery boy at a local community pharmacy when I was 14. Rode my bike (an old Schwinn 1 speed) through rain and snow. Decided that I liked the concept of helping people who were sick. I also like the friendly conversations between the pharmacists and the public.  By the time I was ready to choose a career and path of study at University I was pretty convinced that becoming a Pharmacist was the right thing to do. I have never looked back.  I was always good at science in HS and also considered Law but the health care aspect won me over.

Occasional Visitor

I liked the sciences too - especially human anatomy, biology, and chemistry. I thought for sure I wanted to be a doctor but ended up that I don't like "touching" people as much as doctors need to. Pharmacy was great - got to use my knowlege of the human body and its workings and don't have to touch folks! Going into managed care was the icing on the cake. It's a blast. I get to help patients in a more global sense vs. one on one. Oh -and the Monday through Friday, no holidays, no weekends is really nice too. I also enjoy being able to take more than 3 minutes to eat much lunch and actually get to eat it sitting down unlike some pharmacists. (I'm talking to you my community pharmacy brothers!) Smiley Happy

Occasional Visitor

I had made my decision in high school that I wanted to be a doctor. However, when I took an EMT course during my second year of college I reconsidered my decision when I saw a movie of physicians using a "bracing bit" to relieve pressure off the brain.  I also took into consideration the fact that I wouldn't have a life for at least 10-12 years so I looked at my options that would allow me to work in the medical field and apply my aptitude for math and science. A pharmacy career allowed me to go in several different directions and I have thoroughly enjoyed my career and expanded my horizons. It also allowed me time to spend with my family. I also went back to school and received my PharmD 24 years after my BS in Pharmacy.

Occasional Advisor

I was going to grad school for counseling and needed a job to pay my way.  A friend offered me a job as a pharmacy tech.  I graduated with a master's in counseling, but I still work in pharmacy.  I love my job!

Frequent Advisor

Back in the 60's, when I attended the university, Freshman were required to declare a major at the very start --- prior tobeginning any classes.  I was asked by my advisor what my major would be and I told him that I had no idea.  He asked what course I liked the most in HS.  Chemistry, I said (that's because the chemistry teacher, aka assistant football coach, in the very small south Georgia high school that I attended was probably not qualified to teach the course and didn't seem to care.  Much of the lab was unsupervised and I spent most of my time making stink bombs and experimenting with various concoctions by pouring them out of the window to see what would happen to the shrubbery outside!).  So, my advisor listed my major as BS Chem (as opposed to a BS with a major in chemistry which was only about half as much chemistry as the BS Chem).  After struggling for 2.5 years with chemistry, physics, math, and German I went back to my advisor and requested a change in my major as I did not relish spending the next 5 to 10 years trying to graduate.  He asked what I wanted to change my major to and I still did not know what I wanted to be when I grew up!  He pulled out his school catalog, flipped through it, and told me that with the courses I had completed I could go to pharmacy school without loosing any credits.  To make a long story a little shorter, I had an interview with the pharmacy school's Dean and when he asked me why I wanted to be a pharmacist I told him I had always wanted to be a pharmacist and had somehow gotten side-tracked.  My father was a physician and I said that I had always wanted to work in the healthcare field.  Surprisingly, I was admitted to pharmacy school, loved it, and have never regretted the change.

Occasional Contributor

When I was young, my grandmother was really sick and no one could help her to get well.  I then wanted to be a doctor.  So I went to college as a pre-med student but didn't really like it when I took human/anatomy class; the smell of formaldehyde was so strong.  So I started volunteering in different fields and finally decided to pursue pharmacy as my career