Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
VIP
Accepted Solution

Thread and board icons

I just had a thought, and looking around in the various resources, I couldn't find the answer.

What are the definitions of the icons that appear to the left of boards and threads? Some of them I think are fairly straightforward (i.e. the green word balloon for chat discussions, a green pencil for blog entries, a black lock on those threads which do not permit replies, and so on), but I would like to see a guide or an explanation of what could appear there.

Graham O'Hea, Pharmacy Systems Analyst
Trusted Contributor

Re: Thread and board icons

[ Edited ]

GrahamOH,

Thanks for your interest in this...

One tip is that if you hover over a balloon the "alt" text will explain the balloon's meaning.

Red balloon = hot topic

Ballon with white stripe (red or green - see above image) = has new content

Arrow pointing left on a balloon = you replied to this topic

So the image in this post would display for a hot topic with new content that I haven't read yet, and the thread contains at least one reply of mine.

These were the only examples I could find right now that you didn't cover. Let me know if you see any more!

Thanks! 

**** If you find this post helpful, please mark it as a solution ****
VIP

I am using IE6 (see our discussion in the Pharmacy Technology board about the Internet Explorer web browser), and the alt text does not display when I hover over the image (I already tried this before. I guess I could have looked in the source code at the the icons).

If I recall from the W3C guidelines, the alt text on an image is only supposed to be displayed when the image is not rendered as an assistance for users who cannot see the image (either because of bandwidth, visual impairment, or whatnot). To render the tooltip on hovering, the proper way to do it is with the title attribute in the link. I realize that you are using a template which is already going to define a lot of these low-level decisions and probably do not have any control over it, but just be aware that not all clients are going to render this in the same way. Perhaps it is an IE6 issue, or perhaps it is some other factor that I am not accounting for, as I do see the tooltip when I hover over your avatar, but not over these icons.

VIP

I viewed the source of one of the pages, and found that both the Alt and the Title attributes are being placed for these icons (and now that I see the text, they are actually quite explanatory), but it appears that there is a 1 pixel by 1 pixel invisible GIF that is stretched out and covering the icon images, preventing the Alt or Title text from being displayed in the tooltip for me. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem or not.